ASC Education volunteers have been very productive
in the past year and met recently to review their
accomplishments and plan for the coming months.
Here’s a look at what they’ve done lately and hope to
do in 2018-2019 with support of Corvallis
Audubon leaders, members and friends.
Summary of Our ASC Ed Team 9/17 to 8/18
Accomplishments - Events & Numbers served
- Winter Wildlife Field Day at Finley (800+ people in
- Monthly Family Nature Program at Hesthaven (60)
- Girl Scout Spring and Summer Day Camps (160 + 150
- Get Outdoors Day at Peavy Arboretum (350+ people
- OSU Child Development Center Science Night (100)
- OSU Earth Day – wheel activity (200)
- OSU EXTENSION-4H Science Day Program at Hoover
- Sustainability Fair (150)
- Insights Into Gardening (150)
- Adult Daycare program outreach by Kris (35).
Total of community members served by ASC Ed in
the past year = 3,205
List of ASC Ed events and plans for 9/18 to 8/19
(lead volunteers listed when known)
- Sept. 29, 10-2, Open House at Hesthaven (Valerie
with Tricia, Kris, Sue & Nancy)
- 2019 Winter Wildlife Field Day at Finley (Teri coordinates
with Sam at Finley with help from ALL, &
graphics by Sue. Planning begins in September for
March (date to be set)
- Monthly Family Program at Hesthavn, third Sunday,
October-May) (Mitchells and Beth)
- Oct. 2018 Boy Scout Birding Badge with Albany
Troop (Nancy and Bob Brown)
- Develop Raptor ID Workshops (Kris & Teri)
- Get Outdoors Day at Peavy Arboretum (Valerie)
- Develop Nature program for seniors (road show &
field trips) for Corvallis and Albany Senior Centers,
Stoneybrook, and Grace Adult Day Ctr (Valerie, Tricia
and Carla Olson)
- Update and manage ASC Bird Specimen Collection
– review, and arrange repair, or replacement as
needed, plus set loan and use criteria (Laura, Nancy,
Marcia and Mark)
- Develop Art in Nature Program at Hesthavn (Kris &
- OSU Earth Day
- Explore Corvallis School Science program with 4H
extension service (Valerie & Nancy)
- Sustainability Fair table at Sustainability Coalition
- Master Gardener program: Insights into Gardening in
spring (Kate and Marcia)
- Girl Scout events including Spring and Summer Day
- Closely coordinate with education and outreach programs
with staff and Friends group at Finley (Kris &
Teri) and with other natural resource agencies in area
(Val & Teri)
If you want more information or would like to join
the ASC Ed team, contact us at volunteerasc@gmail.
com or check in with us at the monthly member meetings.
Winter Wildlife Field Day was HUGE
With the full cooperation of Mother Nature on a mild, dry winter day, guests poured into the Finley National Wildlife Refuge by the hundreds (over 800 actually) for our fourth annual exploration of Nature. We had 11 hands-on learning stations covering a wide range of information and activities, something for everyone.
We SO appreciate the 100 dedicated, skilled and enthusiastic volunteers who made it all happen. Some have put in hundreds of hours in planning and preparation over the last six months! I wish we had room to name each wonderful individual, but this is a full newsletter! All I can say is thanks to each of you and hope you feel sincerely appreciated for your help and contributions. What an impact you made!
Thanks also to our wonderful US Fish and Wildlife Service partners at Finley, especially hard-working, always smiling Visitor Services Manager Samantha Bartling and our supportive refuge complex Project Leader Damien Miller.
Big thanks to local groups who have partnered with us all four years: OSU Bird Nerds, Friends of Willamette Valley National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Chintimini Wildlife Center, and Starker Forests, Inc. We have also enjoyed key vehicle parking help for our two biggest years from Albany Boy Scout Troop 365.
We also welcomed several new partner organizations at the event this year: Oregon State University Extenion Service, 4H, OSU Society of American Foresters, and the Benton Soil and Water Conservation District.
We also want to thank Corvallis businesses that donated supplies and materials for the day’s activities: Wild Birds Unlimited, Winco, Bi-Mart and Wilco.
We have already had a debriefing meeting with key volunteers and are open to all feedback that will help us do an even better job next year! We have several intrepid volunteers who have offered to help on the 2019 WWFD, but we’ll take a break first and start on that in September. Thanks to the ASC leadership and members for their unwaivering support of our big event.
Teri Engbring, ASC Education Team